Get a Better Night's Sleep with a Wellness Consultation at Indian Harbor Chiropractic in Greenwich, CT
Did you know that the way you sleep at night could be helping or hurting your health? Indian Harbor Chiropractic in Greenwich, CT wants every patient to understand what good sleep ergonomics are and how people can improve them for better physical and mental health.
How Your Sleep Position & Routine Can Affect Your Healing & Healing
If you sleep on a mattress that is too soft or too hard, the natural curves in your spine may not be adequately cushioned. Instead of being held in a neutral position, different areas of your spine may be forced out of alignment and subjected to increased pressure. This can exacerbate problems like chronic back pain, headaches, and spinal disc or nerve compression.
Other possible problems with sleep ergonomics include:
- Pillows that are too thick or thin (which can cause your neck to be excessively flexed or extended)
- Sleeping position (e.g., sleeping on your stomach increases the amount of force transmitted through your neck and low back)
In addition to mattress/pillow type and sleeping position, your sleep routine can also help or hurt the quality of your rest. For instance, drinking alcohol or eating rich food too close to bedtime, or consuming stimulating media right before bed, can impair your ability to fall asleep and stay asleep.
Tips from Our Greenwich Chiropractor for Improving Your Sleep Ergonomics
If you wake up feeling stiff and sore, you may need to look into trialing a new mattress or pillow that will keep your spine more aligned. Our Greenwich chiropractor also offers these additional tips:
- If you sleep on your back, put a pillow under your knees to relieve low back pressure.
- If you sleep on your side, put a pillow between your legs to maintain neutral spine and hips.
- Use the log roll technique to get out of bed: bend your knees, put your feet flat on the mattress, and roll your shoulders and hips together as a unit before kicking your legs off the edge of the bed and coming to sit (to avoid twisting in the spine).
- Adopt a relaxing bedtime routine to prepare yourself for sleep.
By maximizing your sleep ergonomics and habits, you'll be able to get the most out of any other services our chiropractor in Greenwich may offer for your acute or chronic pain condition.